Welcome to the Movimento Perpétuo: Portuguese Diaspora in Canada website, launched today, June 1st, 2023. This is the digital companion to and legacy piece of the exhibition commemorating the 70th anniversaries of Portugal-Canada diplomatic relations in 2022 and the beginning of Portuguese mass migration to Canada in 2023
Here you will find:
- Over 70 profiles of Portuguese-Canadian individuals and organizations in Ontario and Quebec;
- Over 80 artifacts (some of them in digitized into 3D objects) crowdsourced from community participants;
- 15 virtual tours of relevant locations in Toronto, Guelph, Caledon, and Montreal;
- 75 short documentaries from RTPi, NFB/ONF, and other sources;
- An illustrated Portuguese-Canadian timelines featuring over 300 events;
- A series of videos recorded by community members, including Portuguese-Canadian students and other participants;
- Audio recordings with testimonials from several community participants;
- Selections of archival records from private and public collections, including photos, newspapers, correspondence, flyers, and other materials.
Don’t know where to start? Try the curatorial statement.